After my latest rant, I told you all I would be posting recipes to make your own cleaning products that are safe and effective, not to mention, cheaper than store-bought stuff. Here are the goods:
Homemade Laundry Detergent:
- 1 Bar of Dr. Bronner’s soap (grated with a cheese grater)*avail. at Whole Foods and Online*
- 1 Cup Washing Soda
- 1 Cup Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Borax
- 20 drops essential oil- Eucalyptus, Lavender, or Lemon
Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container. Use 2 tablespoons per full load! Note: if you have really hard water, use extra borax.
Homemade Automatic Dishwasher Powder:
- 2 cups Washing Soda
- 2 cups Borax
- 1 cup Sea Salt
- Add essential oils of choice: 25 drops lavender, or 10 drops lemon/10 drops orange
Mix well and store in airtight plastic container. Add 2 tablespoons of the mixture in the pre-wash & wash containers. tip: use white vinegar in the rinse dispenser to reduce film on glass
Homemade All Purpose Spray Cleaner:
- 1 Cup white vinegar
- 1 Cup distilled water
- 20-25 drops Lemon essential oil—>or as many as you like!
Combine in a spray bottle. Spray on surfaces and wipe clean with damp cloth or sponge.
Homemade Floor Cleaner:
Combine all ingredients in large bucket & mop floor. No rinsing necessary!
- 1 gallon warm water
- 2 Tbsp of liquid castile soap
- essential oils of choice: 8 drops lemon, 15 drops orange
Dirt and grease formula: 1/4 cup washing soda & 1 cup white vinegar added to this solution w/20 drops eucalyptus oil
Homemade Glass and Mirror Cleaner:
combine all ingredients in a spray bottle & shake frequently.
- 2 cups club soda
- 15-20 drops any desired essential oil
Homemade Dishwashing Liquid:
Combine ingredients in an empty squeeze bottle from a previously store bought container.
- Liquid Castile Soap
- 20 drops essential oils. All the same or a blend that looks something like this: 8 drops Lime, 4 drops Orange, 4 drops Lavender, 4 drops Rosemary, 2 drops Eucalyptus
Homemade Fabric Softener:
- Vinegar is mild enough to not harm your fabrics – about 1/4 to 1/2 cup to replace your fabric softener in either a softener ball or in fabric softener compartment of wash machine.
- 5-10 drops of – LAVENDER, WHITE FIR, CITRUS BLISS, LEMON, or any other desired essential oil
You can make up a quart or gallon at one time, if desired. Shake before using.
Homemade Dryer Sheets:
- Moisten a clean washcloth or small cotton rag and place 10 drops of essential oil – LAVENDER, WHITE FIR, CITRUS BLISS, LEMON, MELALEUCA, or any other desired essential oil and throw in the dryer with wet clothes.
Homemade Furniture Polish:
Mix all ingredients in a squirt or spray bottle & shake before using. Apply to furniture and wipe with a soft cloth.
Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner:
- 1 cup borax
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 20 drops LEMON essential oil or ON GUARD, PURIFY, MELALEUCA, WHITE FIR, EUCALYPTUS or other essential you desire.
Make a thin paste of borax & vinegar & essential oil .Flush the toilet to moisten the bowl, rub the paste into the toilet bowl and let sit for as long as you clean the rest of the bathroom. Then, come back and scrub it clean.
Homemade Soft Scrub:
*Recipe Via This Site*
Homemade Carpet Freshener:
- 1 cup baking soda
- 20 drops of any essential oil desired
Blend well & store in a sealed container (best when oil can “marry” with the baking soda overnight before sprinkling on carpet). Sprinkle over carpet and Vacuum.
- 6 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil (I use fractionated aka liquid coconut oil because it isn’t solid and it’s just easier. If you can’t find it, use regular)
- 1/2 cup Arrowroot Powder or Arrowroot Starch
- 1/2 cup Baking Soda
- 1 Tablespoon Vitamin E oil
- 10 Drops Peppermint Oil
- 10 Drops Citrus: Lemon, Lime, or Orange
- A few drops of Clove oil
Blend all of these together in a stand mixer or by hand until they become a paste. Store in a small jar. Scoop out with finger and apply like a lotion to the armpits!
Will be posting more recipes, too! If you want a recipe for something in particular, write it in the comments section!