Thought’s on Alicia Silverstone’s Breastmilk Share Program

First of all, I love the fact that Alicia Silverstone is pretty much fearless when it comes to exposing her lifestyle choices and beliefs. I found it really odd that everyone made such a big deal when she posted the video of her feeding her son chewed up food from her mouth like a little bird.

Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 2.48.32 PMWhat’s the big deal? I’m sure whatever she was eating, even chewed up, was far superior to whatever crap the haters feed their children. With that being said, let’s talk about her new breastmilk-sharing program she’s begun on her website.

Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 2.47.27 PMI had a really hard time with breastfeeding, and wish I’d done it longer than I did. With my next child, I will certainly make more of an effort to make it work. I see nothing wrong with sharing breastmilk. I have gotten breastmilk from my dear friend Lindsay for Pearl’s ear infection when I could not produce any more myself.

Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 2.51.12 PMI find it REALLY backwards that some people grimace at the thought of giving their child someone else’s breastmilk, but don’t bat an eyelash at feeding their tiny infant high fructose corn syrup, GMO, antibiotic raised milk formula off the shelf from their local Wal-Mart. I mean people let their babies drink milk from a cow (an animal) that they don’t know, have never seen, and don’t know how it’s been raised or how the milk ended up in the canister of formula they’re holding. These same people are appalled at the thought of their baby drinking milk from another HUMAN, who produces milk specially meant for human babies. Which sounds more weird, now?

Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 2.53.17 PMThe way I see it is if you’re healthy enough to produce breast milk, and you’re giving it to your own child, why wouldn’t I trust your breastmilk to be good enough for my own child? This whole notion that breastfeeding and breastmilk are something that should be kept a private, modest thing is complete bullshit. Up until about 30 years ago it was a REALLY common occurrence for a wet nurse to breastfeed your child straight from the boob. No pumping, no bottle, just straight up your kid on someone else’s nipple. Lots of cultures still practice joint breastfeeding with their sisters or other people in their community. It’s not taboo for your sister or sister-in-law who is lactating to nurse your baby while you’re ill, out for the day, etc.

Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 2.55.48 PMI read somewhere that Alicia Silverstone’s program was only for vegan moms. After reading through, I never saw anything about that. I think it’s for all moms regardless of your diet, which is great, because most people aren’t vegan, and it would be sad to put those limits on the program. So, to you, Alicia, I say, “BRAVO!” Good for you, and I hope this program works out nicely and mothers are able to help each other!

If you are interested in buying/selling/donating breastmilk on Alicia’s site, visit it at The Kind Life

If you’re still determined to give your baby formula, Please consider making your own homemade formula from raw milk. Get my recipe here: Homemade Baby Formula

Xo

18 Comments on Thought’s on Alicia Silverstone’s Breastmilk Share Program

1. stefanie wideman
    July 5, 2013 at 2:53 pm (1 year ago)

I agree completely.My daughter was born at 23 weeks,i never produced milk,but a friend did,i welcomed her milk.I believe there should be many options to get breast milk.from a healthy woman who can produce.

2. Michelle
    July 5, 2013 at 3:17 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Lisa, very good piece you have written, and your a hundred percent right. I had twin girls seven years ago, and was unfortunate to go into labour at 26 weeks. Our first born twin, Onaugh never made it, but the second born twin, Nevaeh ( which is heaven backwards

3. Pip haworth
    July 5, 2013 at 3:27 pm (1 year ago)

I breast fed my first little boy until 7 1/2months and i found it difficult, for many reasons, none of which were his.
    I loved breast feeding my second boy, more than words can say, but i had to give it up at 4 months, due to my ever more debilitating thyroid, not producing enough breast milk and having symptoms that were effecting our life together. I can only praise Alicia, it may not jave havebeen my choice, but it would have given me one more choice than i had.

4. Pip haworth
    July 5, 2013 at 3:29 pm (1 year ago)

Oh god, i wish i had read this though first…..i can spell………kind of.

5. Christine
    July 5, 2013 at 4:07 pm (1 year ago)

You made some great points! My mom fed my baby my sister’s pumped bottle one time b/c I didn’t leave any and didn’t expect my son to wake up. At first I was a little miffed (this was almost 8 years ago) but then I thought, this is ridiculous, she’s my sister and I’m so glad it was there.

6. nita
    July 5, 2013 at 4:17 pm (1 year ago)

omg…..what the hell is going on these days with young folks…haha

7. Tammie
    July 5, 2013 at 4:18 pm (1 year ago)

There was a big to do when Selma Hayak was in Africa on a humanitarian tour and she nursed a hungry baby that was not hers. She said that her baby was back at the hotel with a caregiver, and she had pumped milk for her. It broke her heart, (and I am sure it made her milk leak) when she saw this hungry baby whose mother was unable to produce enough milk for him due to poor nutrition and limited drinking water. She said it seemed like the most natural thing in the world to feed this hungry child since she had more than enough milk for her own child. Many rude and nasty people tried to make it into something ugly. There was a time that it was a common practice to have a ‘wet nurse’ to feed the child when the mother was unable for any reason. The only difference with the program Alicia Silverstone has started is that the milk is being pumped.

• Sarah
      September 8, 2013 at 2:03 pm (1 year ago)

Wow I had never heard that about Salma Hayak! That poor baby probably got more milk from her that one nursing session than it did for the rest of the week :( There was a time that I would have been completely weirded out by that but the more I have started thinking about what we eat and how we get it the more I have no problem with things like this. I had a hard time nursing both my kids and in hind sight I wish I had stuck it out longer before I went to pumped milk (my own), then formula.

8. Samantha
    July 5, 2013 at 5:44 pm (1 year ago)

I think it’s great. I too, had a very hard time breastfeeding. My boobs would get so engorged, they wouldn’t let down and my daughter was screaming her head off so I had to stop. I wish I would have known someone to help me.

9. emma kate
    July 5, 2013 at 7:13 pm (1 year ago)

a friend of mine and i were having this conversation the other day. i think it stemmed from her friend not wanting to try his wife’s milk…i can’t understand why it’s okay to drink a similar substance from animals but not your OWN species!!?? i have breastfed my three girls (still going with my littlest) and i would give my milk to anyone in need in a heartbeat.
    good on you for shining a spotlight on this need.

10. ellie ruff
    July 5, 2013 at 7:20 pm (1 year ago)

I love this post it’s so true. It makes perfect ernse!

11. Mandy Orsini
    July 5, 2013 at 8:56 pm (1 year ago)

I have seen many changes in infant care in my lifetime. But I am in total agreement here with you. I say Bravo to Alicia too.

12. Barbara
    July 7, 2013 at 8:59 am (1 year ago)

I guess since Alicia promotes the vegan lifestyle and says she’s hoping Kind Mama’s will step up to donate some milk that would lead people to believe that it’s for vegan Moms. I think its great. All babies should be fed with natural milk, if not Mom then at least as close to it as possible. With my first born I was told I wouldn’t make milk because he was too big and I went on to have a massive oversupply. Now I’m feeding #2 and I still have a lot of milk. The thing is everyone in the house sneaks in a drink here and there and I use it for just about anything from beauty to my garden so there’s not much left to donate.

13. nutritionalmedicinemama
    July 10, 2013 at 10:40 am (1 year ago)

Well said! Thank you! I love what you said about people allowing their children to drink from a cow but are appauled at the thought of breastmilk from another human. This society is so brainwashed. Remeber the huge issue people made when a woman breastfeeding her three year old was pictureded on the cover of Time magazine? So ridiculous. We have no problems with billboards of 16 year old girls with their breasts hanging out advertising for Guess but breastfeeding in public is horrifying to people? I breastfeeding my two year old and infant and have breastfed my sister and cousins baby in emergency situations. It is a beautiful gift. I wish I had access to breastmilk when I adopted my first son.

14. Sally
    August 7, 2013 at 5:30 am (1 year ago)

Unfortunately her program is only for vegan moms. She was on a talk show discussing that specifically.

15. Claudia
    August 12, 2013 at 8:21 am (1 year ago)

Well who am I to judge anyone let alone Mrs. Silverstone. The whole mouth feeding though??? You have to know how much I wished a thousand times, about your blog, specifically, breast feeding. When I had my two girls nobody educated you and told you their first hand experience. Your blog is every bit of information I have been longing for… for the longest now. Unfortunately late for me as I have given up the breastfeeding battle, as I’d called it once upon a time. I would cry so much when my second baby would practically chew off my nipples or would leave them bloody. Nobody told me it didn’t have to be this way. So after three months, I stopped. My first born though barely got two months out of me. Every night I would get really high fevers then the next day I was fine. This went on for a week and a half, by that time my first born didn’t really wanted, maybe I didn’t want it anymore. Pumping, yes I did that while nipples recovered. I felt humiliated though and Truly sympathized with the cows.stupid or silly it may sound that was my reasoning. Looking back I feel really bad that i deprived my girls of an amazing thing and myself a wonderful experience because mine was anything but. However, my girls are healthy and I do everything possible to feed them fruits and vegetables. Now that I have attained this great piece of knowledge I will share it along with your blog to everyone. Especially in the Latin community, they are old school and nobody talks about it. Please don’t judge me as I don’t judge you, but I will say, thank you from the bottom of my heart Lisa. Thank you!!!

16. Shaydie
    September 6, 2013 at 8:25 am (1 year ago)

She is a woman so you say, “Brava!”

17. may1787
    September 10, 2013 at 4:38 am (1 year ago)

While I wouldn’t hesitate to use someone else’s donated breast milk, a sharing program vs. a donation facility is really scary to me. Donation facilities test the milk for CMV, HIV, and other diseases that can be passed through the milk that the donor may not even realize she has. A sharing program generally doesn’t test the milk and the milk is taken at face value by the person accepting it. A woman may have her heart in the right place, but she may be unknowingly passing on diseases.
    I’ll stick with donation facilities that test the milk. It makes me feel more comfortable that I’m providing the best for my baby.