Newborn Must Haves

Having your first baby can be scary and exciting all at the same time. Here are a few of my favorite products that will help you make it through those first few, tough months!

1. Aden and Anais swaddle blankets

Aden and Anais swaddle blankets

If you are a new mom, these are crucial. They are by far the best blankets for swaddling. So soft, thin, and breathable, so YOU can relax and breath knowing your baby is safe sleeping with them. Check out my swaddling tutorial video!

2. SwaddleMe Swaddling Jacket

Pearl, snug as a bug in a rug in her SwaddleMe

Yes, these are different than swaddling blankets, and you will need both. When your baby is strong enough to bust out of the swaddling blanket at night, these are sure to keep those crazy arms down! It’s a bodysuit that velcroes, and it totally saved my life!

3. MAM pacifiers

After trying 7 different types of pacifiers, Pearl finally was able to keep the MAM pacifier in her mouth. The way it is shaped makes it easy for a tiny mouth to hold on to. I’m 3 for 3 with recommendations on this one, meaning anyone who I’ve suggested them to says it’s worked for them! Worth a try, I say.

4. Pacifier Clip

This is such a must have if your baby takes a pacifier. If and when they drop it, it doesn’t ever touch the ground meaning less rinsing and sterilizing for mommy. YAY! My favorite brand is “bumkins” because they make theirs out of WATERPROOF FABRIC which is important when baby starts drooling a lot. Pearl used to use Booginhead brand, but frankly after 10 minutes of wearing them, they’re drenched and smell sour. Much better to go with a waterproof fabric!

Bumkins brand waterproof pacifier clip

5. Dr. Brown’s Bottles

Don’t even get me started on how awesome Dr. Brown’s products are. Check out my blog entry review on these great bottles HERE

6. Soothies by Lansinoh

These puppies will be your nipples’ new best friend (next to the cute baby sucking on them)….These are great because they’re reusable. After baby nurses and you’re in teeth gritting pain, slap these on your nipples for instant cooling relief. And while you’re at it, get some of THESE nursing pads so your boobs don’t leak through your shirt!

Gel nipple pads

Lansinoh ultra soft nursing pads

7. Sound Machine

I love these. Any brand will do. Great for creating white noise so baby will sleep better. Remember, it’s noisy in the womb, so when baby comes out, he or she will be comforted by these types of sounds. I use a Homedics brand lullaby soother. It stays on ALL the time.

8. Exercise Ball

This will absolutely blow your mind. If your baby is crying, wrap him up, cradle him, and bounce on an exercise ball. It is truly an instant mute button that has never failed me. Try it!

9. Gripe Water

I just wrote a whole blog entry on different types of gripe water. Read it HERE. My favorite brand is Mommy’s Bliss

10. My Brest Friend

Crucial if you are planning on breastfeeding. This thing blows the boppy out of the water. It straps around you so you can walk around with it. I practically never took mine off. It works much better than the boppy, and you’ll be so glad you bought it!

So, those are my top 10 for NEWBORNS. Buy them or put them on your gift registry! So worth it.

Xo

11 Comments on Newborn Must Haves

1. Carla
    November 12, 2012 at 6:29 pm (2 years ago)

Awesome! I received all but 2 of these at my shower so looks like I’ll be prepared once baby comes in the next few weeks. I guess my friends knew what I would need more than I would! I had a hard time convincing my other half why we needed A+A blankets but I managed to do it. Never heard of the Lansinoh gel pads, will have to order them from amazon!

2. tammy skjenna
    November 12, 2012 at 10:16 pm (2 years ago)

I just wanted to mention that after the birth this May of our little girl. I used an exercise ball quite a bit as she had a bad case of reflux. It worked well but I really found it hurt my back ect. After giving birth and still having the relaxant in your body you can do some damage on one of those balls. Just a word or warning go easy on the ball if you do use one.

3. udgums
    November 13, 2012 at 7:04 am (2 years ago)

I love your blog so much! I can’t wait to have kids and thanks to you will know the best products for my baby and tips to make things easier as a new mother. I look forward to seeing your new posts everyday so keep it coming, you’re an amazing inspiration!

4. Kat
    November 13, 2012 at 3:10 pm (2 years ago)

#7 is definitely a must, my baby nephew loves it. My sister was very thankful for it :)

5. Heidi Simmons
    November 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm (2 years ago)

Totally agree with you on the #1!! -Heidi

6. kerrie
    November 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm (2 years ago)

I also have the MAM dummys for my baby girl she won’t have no others I’ve tried lol I also have the MAM bottles have tried a few others but baby girl will not have them.

Great blog :)

7. Anna MK
    November 19, 2012 at 1:12 am (2 years ago)

I am a big fan of your blog and want to thank you for taking the time and writing very interesting posts. I am a first time mother and want to do everything as good as I can for my baby girl. My 5 month old girl wouldn’t take pacifiers though she wanted to suck on everything else because of teething. After reading your blog I got the MAM pacifiers and she loves them. Thanks to your blog I will not start with rice cereal when I start giving her solids next month, though that was the first thing her pediatrician suggested. I look forward to your posts every day.

Thanks!

8. Amber B.
    November 23, 2012 at 6:19 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve got to say, after 4 children and owning both a Boppy and a My Brest Friend pillow, Boppy wins, hands down. IMO, it’s so much more comfortable. I keep a Boppy in the house and in the car! It is a must-have for me and I recommend them to every new mom. It’s all about preference.

9. emily
    December 12, 2012 at 6:19 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, I love your blog. I’m looking for a sound machine. Does the homedics one stay on all night? Every one that I’ve seen shuts off automatically. I need one thay stays on. Thanks

• RaddestMom
      December 12, 2012 at 7:48 pm (2 years ago)

yes it does i leave mine on all the time

10. Lyndsey
    July 1, 2014 at 8:26 am (5 months ago)

I loved the Lansinoh disposable nursing pads! So much easier than having to wash regular ones.