Homemade Baby Formula

Whether you are breast-feeding and need a supplement, or straight formula feeding, you can benefit from this.

Disclaimer: This is my own personal variation of the Weston A. Price foundation’s recipe HERE ….I am not responsible for your baby’s health, that’s YOUR job. This is my own personal version based on my research of what I think is best for my baby. I am not responsible for any variation you create, or any problems you face if using my recipe. If you want a recipe for the Cow’s milk, visit the link reference above.

OK, now that I’ve got that out of the way, I can tell you how freaking awesome this formula is. My daughter thrives on this stuff and I feel heaps better about giving it to her than commercial crap formula. This recipe puts ALL store bought (even organic)  to SHAME. All baby formulas, if store bought, are pretty much the same. They are all powdered (real, genuine whey cannot be powdered or it loses most of its essential components), processed, and contain bottom of the barrel ingredients. Long story short: I don’t trust em’.

Wouldn’t you rather give your baby whole, living milk if you are unable to breast-feed? When a baby goat is born, it is about the size of a newborn human. So, to me, it makes the most sense to use goat’s milk for my baby. In order to make it closer to breast-milk, we have to add a few ingredients. It takes me 10 minutes to make this every day. If you have time to check your face-book daily, then you have time to do this! Here is a video of me making it in my home kitchen. Recipe will be below video!

JavaScript required to play Homemade Baby Formula.

36 ounces of Raw Goat Milk formula

2 cups raw goat milk (if you absolutely can’t find it, use Meyenberg liquid or powdered goat milk in the same Ratio on can)

2 cups filtered Water

1/4 cup liquid whey (see youtube videos on how to make whey, it’s easy! I also show you how to make it halfway through my video above) Human milk is more rich in Whey, so we have to add some to our mix to make it more like momma’s milk.

1-2 tsp Blackstrap Molasses (aids in bowel movements, adds vitamin B, iron, and trace minerals)

4 tablespoons Lactose Powder (try it first, it’s the best. Lactose is highly present in breastmilk. Most aversions to baby formula are NOT because of lactose intolerance. It is actually very rare for a baby to be allergic to lactose. This is a common misconception. If you absolutely cannot find lactose powder or you run out, use 2 tablespoons of REAL grade A-B maple syrup as a replacement)

2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream (Use raw if you can find it, if not, use one that says “pasteurized” instead of “ultra pasteurized”. If all you can find is the ultra, that’s fine)

1/4-1/2 tsp INFANT Probiotics (you can use Udo’s Choice, which is available at most whole foods, and online. It contains all the necessary strands you need. Or find a similar INFANT probiotic)

1/2 tsp Cod Liver Oil (use fermented if you have the $, it’s double the price but great. This is a great source of DHA)

1 tsp organic Olive Oil (for monosaturated fats)

2 Tablespoons Virgin Coconut Oil (contains lauric acid- a medium chained fatty acid, and it a natural antiviral and anti-fungal found in booby milk. If you can find liquid fractionated coconut oil it is much easier to handle than the solid for melting purposes)

1 Tsp Maxi Baby Multivitamins (or any other baby multivitamin, just make sure it’s safe for your baby’s age. I use this vitamin in place of the yeast flakes, but if you can get them, add the yeast flakes)

2 Tsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes (these are essential when using raw goat’s milk since it is lower in folic acid than cow milk)

Blend all ingredients. Pour into bottles. Refrigerate. Warm up in hot water bowl before serving in order for the coconut oil to liquify! Make fresh daily! You can also freeze the amount you want in breastmilk storage bags, and warm up like you would breastmilk.

I highly recommend one of THESE bad boys. Instant boiling water. I put some in a cup and put the bottle in for a couple minutes to warm.

xo

LISA O

Older comments

113 Comments on Homemade Baby Formula

1. Angie
    July 5, 2014 at 3:19 pm (4 months ago)

How long can it be stored in the fridge?

• RaddestMom
      July 5, 2014 at 4:23 pm (4 months ago)

a couple of days is all I would do. But it can be frozen

• Savannah
        July 16, 2014 at 8:26 pm (3 months ago)

Beyond excited when stumbling aross your recipe after a google search! Supplementing is stressful business!! ;) And coming across your blog help put my mind at ease! So, thank you!!!! Xoxo How long can you leave this milk at room temperature? Also, sadly it is illegal to buy raw goat milk in my state but there are still farms that sell it, but aren’t license because of law. Do you think it is to big of a risk to buy from a non license farm? Thanks in advance!

2. Alti
    July 7, 2014 at 8:40 am (3 months ago)

My little ones doctor looked at me crazy when I told him if I wanted to make my own infant formula if I had to start supplementing. Everyone keeps warning me on the safety of feeding my baby “raw” milk. What do you know of the safety issue in using raw milk?

• Allyson
      July 8, 2014 at 11:49 am (3 months ago)

There’s the risk of E. coli, salmonella, and listeria, so if you are planning on using raw make sure it’s from a licensed facility.

3. Savannah
    July 16, 2014 at 8:26 pm (3 months ago)

• RaddestMom
      July 17, 2014 at 11:19 am (3 months ago)

as long as the farm is reputable I see no problem with it. Farms that aren’t licensed are not legally allowed to sell their milk, but if you do a trade with them or they just give it to you it’s legal. They may just give you some since it’s not a lot and it’s for your baby….i’d ask.

• RaddestMom
      July 17, 2014 at 11:20 am (3 months ago)

also, you can buy meyenberg pasteurized goats milk its not as good but still better than the store-bought formula.

4. Cate
    September 3, 2014 at 1:20 pm (2 months ago)

What about the vit B12 that’s low in goats milk?.

• RaddestMom
      September 17, 2014 at 1:03 pm (1 month ago)

most people add nutritional yeast to the formula which is high in b vitamins. I chose not to for some reason & I added a different source of B.
      I would definitely recommend adding the nutritional yeast to the formula though. In some cases the baby doesn’t like it. Mine didn’t which is why I didn’t put it in, but it’s great.

5. savannah
    October 3, 2014 at 7:20 am (2 weeks ago)

Hello, Just wanted to write an update. My baby thrives on this formula!!! I’M FOREVER GRATEFUL. Question though, I leave the whey out 1/2 the time, either because I forget or I’m out. Is this a big deal? Just want to make sure he’s not missing out on something super important. Thank you again & again!!!

• RaddestMom
      October 4, 2014 at 11:18 pm (2 weeks ago)

the whey is important! all ingredients are important.

6. Shanna
    October 12, 2014 at 11:32 am (1 week ago)

Just to clarify, should I use the vitamins OR yeast flakes or should I be mixing in both?

• RaddestMom
      October 14, 2014 at 10:53 am (6 days ago)

You can do both I don’t think it would hurt. maybe do regular amount of vitamins and half amount of yeast flakes.

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Homemade Baby Formula

1. [...] Check out this new kitchen tool I just got for separating my curds and whey for my homemade baby formula [...]

2. [...] are struggling with breast-feeding and just aren’t able to make it work, I suggest reading this post by Lisa Osborn.  She makes her own formula and it is working really well for her little [...]